Stella Maris Catholic Primary School is situated at 24 - 28 Futuna Avenue, Burnie on the North West Coast of Tasmania. The school site overlooks Bass Strait and is approximately 2 km from the city centre and is close to hospitals, TAFE, the North West University Campus and Marist Regional College.
Stella Maris was officially registered as a primary school in 1908, under the care of the Sisters of Mercy. During the early years of the school classes were taught in the Star of the Sea Church located in Mount Street, Burnie and the school population averaged 90 students.
In July 1977 construction began at the new (and present) site, neighbouring Marist Regional College in Futuna Avenue, Burnie.
In 1994, the school converted to a number of extensions and upgrades at the school.
The school caters for approximately 460 students from Kindergarten to Grade Six.
School hours are from 8.50 am to 3:00 pm.